1. Season the fish generously with salt and pepper and allow to come to room temperature.
2. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon, peel and dice, keeping all the escaping liquid. (If using canned tomatoes, skip this step)
3. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan, add the shallot and onion, and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat until just soft. Add the tomatoes and juice and simmer over low heat until thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Add basil and chili (or hot sauce) to taste. Keep warm at lowest temperature.
5. Heat a grill or non-stick frying pan and brush with oil. Cook the Hiramasa to medium rare for the moistest result or as preferred.
6. Spread bread with horseradish, top with lettuce then the fish. Spoon over the chili tomato salsa.
General Note: It’s not just burgers that go well on a bun! A grilled tender piece of Spencer Gulf Hiramsa (Kingfish) with your favorite accompaniments takes a burger up a notch with its rich buttery flavor and moist texture! Choose the amount of heat you like in your tomato salsa, it adds a lovely zip to the fish!