Directions For the Fish
- Prepare the batter according to the ‘Fried Fish in Vodka and Beer Batter‘ recipe. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Portion the raw fish into 12 even pieces, about 3 inches long. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place a Dutch oven or large wok fitted with a candy thermometer over medium heat and add the oil, leaving at least 3 inches from top of the pan. Should have at least 1 1/2 inches of oil from the bottom. Heat until thermometer registers 350F.
- Prepare a plate with paper towels to be used for draining the fried fish. Spread additional 2 cups rice flour on a separate plate.
- Remove the fish pieces from the refrigerator and season all over with salt and pepper.
- Remove the batter from the refrigerator. Dredge the fish in the rice flour and then dip the pieces into the batter, one by one.
- Carefully add each piece of fish to the hot oil. Work in small batches so as not to crowd the Dutch oven or wok.
- Fry the fish until golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to the prepared plate to drain and season immediately with more salt.
Assemble the Tacos
- Warm the tortillas in a fry pan or a few seconds in the microwave and place on a platter covered by a dish cloth. If you have a tortilla basket, use that.
- Place 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise on each tortilla and spread using back of spoon.
- Add a small mound of the cabbage along with some radish slices, minced onion, chopped cilantro and a spoonful of salsa.
- Place one piece of fried fish on each tortilla. Squeeze a little of lime juice from the wedges over the fish. Dollop the guacamole on top if using. Serve.
Cook’s Note: You can also have a ‘make your own’ taco bar by placing each ingredient for assembling in their own separate bowls. Place the tacos on a plate or traditional taco holder. Pile the fried fish on a platter and enjoy!
Chipotle Mayonnaise variation: If you can find some chipotle sauce or Chipotle in Adobo sauce, we like to mix about 1/2 – 1 tsp of the sauce into the mayonnaise. Check and adjust to your personal preference in flavor and spiciness. Chipotle can be spicy!