1. Grind spice rub ingredients together in a spice grinder or mortar & pestle. Generously season the salmon with the rub, then rest in the fridge for 1-4 hours. Preheat grill or smoker to 150F – 200F and smoke the salmon for about 1 hour until salmon flakes apart or to an internal temperature of 130F – 135F.
2. Pour boiling water over the red onions and leave to soak. Puree the vinegar, sugar, beets and salt. Strain the onions and add them to the beet mixture. Leave until cooled to room temperature.
3. For the wrap, combine all the dough ingredients by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook. Mix until a ball forms and turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
4. Knead the dough until smooth and let it rest for 20 mins.
5. Preheat the oven to 425F with a pizza stone. Cut the dough into four pieces and roll each piece out into a circle. Cook on the pizza stone until dough begins to brown and puff up. Around 3 – 6 mins depending on the oven. Remove and set aside.
6. Whisk together crème fraiche and cream cheese. To plate, layer onto the warm flatbread the cheese spread, smoked salmon, pickled onions and any of the optional items such as sliced heirloom tomatoes, sunflower sprouts and caviar or fish roe.
General Recipe Note: Please visit @orakingsalmon IGTV on Instagram for the video.